Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Independent bookstores: "We're not just an Amazon showroom"

The New York Times reports that a growing number of independent bookstores are charging admission to hear authors plug there books, the type of event that booksellers have traditionally offered for free.  Part of this move is apparently a reaction to an increasing number of  customers who window shop at the book store and then order from an online seller.  “They type titles into their iPhones and go home,” said one bookseller. “We know what they’re doing, and it has tested my patience.”  Added another:"We're a business. We're not just an Amazon showroom."

In my ideal world, there will always be local, independent bookstores.  I also enjoy the convenience (and bargains) offered by Amazon.com.  No easy answers here, but I'm reminded that I need to make the effort to patronize businesses that matter to me. And be careful if you are scanning bar codes with your smartphone.

RCM

No comments:

Post a Comment