Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Reading with Dad

After learning about the Lewis & Clark expedition and watching a video based on the book Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose in class, I told my Dad about it. He proposed that we read Undaunted Courage and I accepted. When Dad and I read, we sit in an oversized leather chair by the fireplace and take turns reading the story. Past books we’ve read include To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee, The Call of the Wild and White Fang by Jack London, The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway, Number the Stars by Lois Lowry, Moby Dick by Herman Melville and many more. In Undaunted Courage, I think that Stephen Ambrose does a good job of telling non-fiction in a story-like way. The book is mostly about Meriwether Lewis, and what I love is that is shows Lewis’s childhood, too, and not just what happened on the expedition. We’ve just started the book and I really enjoy it.  We’re already planning a camping trip to Lolo Pass, once of the places Lewis and Clark passed through in Idaho.

SFM

2 comments: